Sunday, March 25, 2007

Dinner with my associates at the Blue Gator

Just came back from dinner at the Blue Gator, the town's only blues venue owned by former hostage Terry Anderson. The menu features caijun, memphis and criole standards. I had the meatloaf.

We had the place to ourselves as there was no band. I shared the meal with my fellow instructors and now I can't tell if I'm inspired or undone. They are smart, committed people who love what they do and are fierce about having any element compromised. They've set a very high standard for me and I hope I don't disappoint them.

While we were eating a former student of mine dropped in on us to say hello and to mention that he had just gotten accepted to CalArt for a MFA in film. I was very pleased when he recognized me but it brought home what a fleeting experience teaching is. You help a bunch of kids find their way in the world and a few really catch fire and exceed your own accomplishments. Next year, you get a whole new crop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be inspired, The student remembers you because you must have inspired him.