Thursday, March 29, 2007

Perp Parade

It has happened twice now. Both times I was heading over to the Donkey, Athens best coffee house and study lounge with high-speed internet access. The Donkey is right next door to the Athens County Sherif Department and right up the street from the court house. When the court opens for business, the Sherif marches the nightly haul of evil doers, dressed in orange and white jail house jammies, and dayglow slippers to the cross walk and over to the judge.

The first time, it was two young men, hand-cuffed, hip tied, and shuffling in leg shackles. Although both men were well into their twenties, the expression on their faces was exactly like kids being sent off to their room after getting caught throwing rocks at a vacant house. This morning the parade featured two young women, one small and short, the other tall, and lanky. They were only handcuffed together, but their odd size obviously caused them discomfort as they each tried to dominate or accommodate the other's gate. Their expressions were less repentant than the men I saw. Their eyes were full of disgust, and they blazed when the Sherif gently asked them to "gitty-up" when the crossing light changed to the striding icon.

I thought to whisper, "Walk, don't run," as I passed in the opposite direction but I figured that those jammies could make anyone cranky enough to kick a smart-ass on their way to arraignment.

No comments: