Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Freedom of Speech

For the past three days the students have been enjoying the company of a neatly dressed man in his late forties. He is outfitted in a leather cap, often wears suspenders, and has a camel water pack on his back. He's a working man. He starts at 9 and knocks of at 5.

The first day I spotted him he was wearing a sandwich board and though I can't recollect what the sign said I knew immediately that he was a preacher of the fire and brimstone variety. By noon on that day he had formed a small clutch of students, male and female, young and old, who were content to hear him do battle with the devil and a couple of philosophy students.

By noon today he had gathered a crowd of over 200 hundred students, soldiers, faculty members, and vendors, most of whom were drawn (as was I) by the size of the crowd and the excitement. He had also drawn in a number of frat presidental candidates, a druid priest, a street performer, and a variety of press photographers. I shot some footage which I think relates the experience pretty well.

From a distance, the roar of the crowd is remarkable. There is chanting, singing, and laughter. It makes me wonder if the Roman Colosseum sounded like this? It also makes me wonder who are the lions and who are the Christians? But all the questions aside, I am impressed that all the voices could be heard.

No comments: