Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Puppet Shows

Cooler weather has brought back a bit of the focus of my students - thankfully. The first few lectures were brutal - hot, sweaty, and interrupted by snores. These past few have been much more active and students have started to engage with me. If I can have another week of 50 degree afternoons, I might actually start to recognize them with their eyes open.

Meanwhile, the labs and exercises continue to be successful. The students jump in with both feet, stumble around a while, and then start to make the leaps the problems were meant to lead them to.

I tried something on Monday that met with mixed success. I brought a camera into the lecture, along with some action figures (Pirates of the Caribbean) and selected students at random to frame the shots I asked for. They liked the challenge, but they seemed to like my interaction with Capt. Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth, and Will Taylor even more. I guess everyone loves a puppet show.

No comments: