I blame my Catholic upbringing. I haven't been - what my mother would consider - Catholic in many years, but for some reason I still can't trust a compliment for anything. I feel compelled to respond negatively: fight or flight, or a Jackie Chan version of both.
Woody Allen once said that Catholism's moto should be, "Die now, pay later." He saw that the status quo of the Roman church was to maintain a thin veneer of hope over a rock of ages fatalism. Small wonder when our mascot is an emaciated guy nailed to the woodwork. Good news? Happiness? That's just the start of something terrible.
Maybe someday I will take a compliment like a man - then I can die.
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I like your writing AND I think your hot. theres your compliment.
Thanks mom.
Post a Comment